Colts fall to 0-3 on Preseason at home against the Bears

The Colts returned home to Lucas Oil Stadium Saturday night, taking on the Chicago Bears in a battle of 0-2 teams on the Preseason. While both teams opted not to play their starters, each looked to get on the winning path as the Regular Season approached.

The Colts entered the game trailing the Bears 9-5-1 all-time in the Preseason, also riding a 5-game losing streak to Chicago, which they hoped to break before heading to Cincinnati on Thursday and opening the season at Los Angeles against the Chargers the following week.

The Colts opened the game with a 36-yard pass but failed to complete the drive in the endzone and settled for an Adam Vinatieri FG to take a quick 3-0 lead after just 2 minutes. Kelly went deep a few times early but failed to connect, while the Colts focused on the running game for a good chunk of the 1st Quarter; In the 1st Quarter, both teams’ defenses were strong, with each team sacking the QB and stopping the offense from getting started. 

After a long Kelly pass completion combined with a Personal Foul on a rough hit to the receiver, RB Charcandrick West ran the ball in for a 10-yard TD run, giving the Colts a 10-0 lead on the Bears with 1:45 left in the 1st Quarter.

Just as the Colts reached the Red Zone again, early in the 2nd Quarter, a 91-yard interception return for a touchdown gave the Bears breath once again and narrowed the lead to 3. The Colts answered right back with a beautiful TD catch by WR Deon Cain, who snatched the ball out of tight coverage, broke multiple tackles and took it in for the 20+yard touchdown to take a 17-7 lead.

After a Bears Offensive Pass Interference, RB Ryan Nall broke a big one for 69 yards, putting Chicago well inside the Red Zone but Indianapolis’ defense held them to 3 downs and the Bears were forced to kick a FG, cutting the lead down to 17-10, heading into halftime.

While the Colts dominated the 1st half, it was the Bears who had their way to start the 2nd half. They opened with a 53 yard FG that was followed with a hard hit on QB Phillip Walker, leading to a Touchdown to give them a 3-point lead (20-17). 

Down the stretch, the Bears were just too much to handle for the Colts, continuing to score and shut down the Indianapolis offense, taking the game 27-17, to improve to 1-2 while the Colts fell to 0-3.

-Reggie Edwards

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.